How to Avoid Costly Car Repair!
Winter has arrived and it will be hanging around for a while. Are you wondering when should you get your car serviced? If you haven’t already taken care of basic maintenance items in the fall, it’s not too late, especially if you do a lot of driving in snowy and icy conditions. You need your car to operate at its highest level of power and performance and provide you with reliable transportation during winter’s cold and dark days.
Even though the key to keeping vehicles running well is routine maintenance, some drivers tend to procrastinate when it comes to keeping up with preventative vehicle maintenance basics. Don’t’ be one of the statistics found by the Car Care Council:
- 25% of cars had low or dirty engine oil.
- 13% had low or contaminated brake fluid.
- 18% had dirty air filters.
- 17% had inadequate cooling protection or low coolant levels.
- 16% needed new windshield wipers.
- 27% had low or contaminated washer fluid.
- 18% needed new belts
- 89% of all vehicles in the study were in need of at least one service or repair.
So when should you get your car serviced?
- Every week or month (especially important during winter) –
- Lights, exterior and interior
- Tires--inflation and condition of tread
- Windshield washer fluid
- Engine oil level
- Every 3 Months/ 3,000-5,000 Miles
- Automatic Transmission Fluid
- Battery and Cables
- Oil change and new filter
- Exhaust and muffler
- Hoses and belts
- Power steering fluid
- Every 6 Months/6,000-10,000 Miles
- Chassis lubrication
- Wiper blades
- Tire Rotation
- Every 12 Months/12,000-15,000 miles
- Inspect brakes
- Cabin air filter
- Check coolant/antifreeze
- Steering and suspension
- Wheel alignment and balancing
Read your owner’s manual for the manufacturer’s recommendations for maintenance. If you’re not sure when to get your car serviced, your auto shop can keep you up-to-date so that you are driving as safe as possible.
When should you get your car serviced? Contact our ASE Certified technicians at Dependable Car Care for more information about our car repair services and to schedule an appointment. Our auto shop proudly serves residents in the community of Ventura, CA, and the surrounding area.