Even though the price for fuel has decreased significantly, most drivers still appreciate learning some automotive service tips to help them save cash at the pump! Regular service can help prevent unexpected automotive repair as well.
The driving tips and automotive services described below will help keep money in your pocket, as well as increase driving safety:
- Replace dirty filters. Don’t make your engine work too hard with a dirty air filter, resulting in decreased fuel efficiency.
- Be serious about maintenance. Follow the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedules to keep your vehicle operating at an optimum performance level.
- Regular oil changes. Stick to the correct intervals for oil changes, using the right oil and changing the filter.
- Avoid idling. Turn off your motor if you have to sit idling for more than a few minutes.
- Watch your speed. Although most highway speed limits are now over 60mph, driving at higher speeds increases the amount of fuel used. Maintain a steady speed (use cruise control when possible) and avoid unnecessary acceleration.
- Use lower octane fuel. Use the lowest octane fuel appropriate for your vehicle. Costly premium fuels do not boost fuel economy.
- Don’t “top off.” Overfilling the gas tank wastes cash on the gas you won’t use as it will seep off.
- Tighten the gas cap. A loose, missing, or damaged cap can cause you to lose up to 30 gallons per year through evaporation.
- Check the tires. Underinflated tires create more resistance on the road, making your engine work harder, reducing fuel mileage and tire life. Keep the wheels in alignment and tires balanced.
- Basic engine service. A misfiring spark plug or a poorly running engine significantly reduces fuel efficiency.
- Eliminate drag. Remove roof racks or bicycle racks when not being used and don’t carry unnecessary loads in the trunk.
- Clean the Fuel System. This will restore lost power performance, improve handling, maximize fuel economy, and reduce toxic emissions.
For quality and affordable automotive repair, contact our ASE Certified technicians at Dependable Car Care for more information about our automotive services and to schedule an appointment. Our auto shop proudly serves residents in the community of Ventura, CA, and the surrounding area.