A better running engine equals a better performing and economical vehicle. It also helps to prevent major engine repair so that you’re not sitting in an auto shop wondering about the reasons why the service engine light comes on.
Consider these five easy and inexpensive maintenance tips for your engine:
- Change the air filter on a regular basis – The air filter prevents dust and dirt from entering the delicate internal components of your car’s engine. This filter is generally simple and inexpensive to change and will ensure that your engine has a good supply of fresh air, thereby increasing your vehicle’s performance and fuel economy.
- Replace spark-plug wires – Efficient spark-plug wires are critical in delivering top performance. Though small, the spark of electricity that the plug emits creates the ignition for the combustion needed to start your car. Over time, heat and vibration cause these wires to wear out so they are unable to transfer electrical current to the engine coils, leading to a misfiring engine and poor fuel economy. They may either need a simple cleaning or possibly replaced.
- Replace the fuel filter – A dirty or clogged fuel filter can restrict the flow of fuel, causing poor performance and lowering the fuel efficiency of your vehicle. A damaged filter can allow containments to enter the fuel injectors, leading to serious damage and costly engine repair. The fuel filter should be replaced at certain mileage intervals.
- Oil changes – Changing the oil is one of the simplest but yet most effective ways of keeping your engine running better. High-quality clean oil will protect internal engine components from being damaged by friction, heat and other combustion byproducts. The oil filter should also be changed each time the oil is changed.
- Coolant and transmission flushes – Regular coolant and transmission flushes will keep your radiator and transmission running clean and performing in peak condition, which will keep the engine in good condition.
If you follow the above engine service tips, your vehicle will be much more enjoyable and comfortable to drive because it is operating at its peak performance level. You will also save money by preventing major engine repair.
Looking for quality engine repair? Contact our ASE Certified technicians at Dependable Car Care for more information about the reasons why the service engine light comes on and to schedule an appointment. Our auto shop proudly serves residents in the community of Ventura, CA, and the surrounding area.