Do you know what’s on the car maintenance checklist? There is a reason vehicle manufacturers include a car maintenance checklist in the owner’s manual. Regular vehicle maintenance will help your car last longer and give you more miles with fewer problems!
If you are like most drivers, you will add at least 10,000 to 15,000 miles to your vehicle during a year’s time. Naturally, this wears down the parts and systems. But you say you aren’t experiencing any car problems. Being a responsible vehicle owner means taking care of regular vehicle maintenance items before problems develop. Ask your mechanic to let you know not only what kind of vehicle maintenance needs to be done, but when it should be done.
So what is on the regular car maintenance checklist? Here are several common guidelines:
- Oil changes—Change the oil and filter about every 3,000 to 7,000 miles, or every three to five months.
- Tune-up—Ensures your spark plugs, filters, and hoses are kept clean and intact.
- Air filter—Replace about every 15,000 to 20,000 miles.
- Timing belt—Replace about every four or five years.
- Fuel system—Adding a fuel system additive or cleaner to the fuel tank about every 3,000 to 7,000 miles improve engines performance.
- Lights and horn—Replace broken or burned out light bulbs and make sure the horn is working.
- Tires—Check tire pressure monthly, and have a tire rotation about every 6,000 miles.
- Brakes—Have the braking system inspected about every 5,000 to 7,000 miles. The brake fluid should be flushed about every two years.
- Air conditioning/heating system—Flush every three years or 50,000 to 60,000 miles. Inspect it frequently for leaks, blockages, and corrosion/oxidation issues.
- Steering—A power steering system flush is recommended at least every 30,000 miles.
- Transmission—For manuals, change the fluid at least every 20,000 miles. For automatics, the fluid and filter should be changed about every 60,000 miles.
If you need to know more about what is on the regular car maintenance checklist, contact our ASE Certified technicians at Dependable Car Care for more information about vehicle maintenance intervals and to schedule an appointment. Our auto shop proudly serves residents in the community of Ventura, CA, and surrounding area.