Is your car slowing down when you are accelerating to go up a hill or try to pass a slower vehicle? This can be a little frustrating, if not scary. If this is happening to you, ask your auto mechanic to run a car diagnostics to determine what is going on under the hood. It could be time for a tune up!
You may be wondering just how often should you get a tune up on your car? Today’s vehicles differ significantly from older vehicles that required a tune-up every 10,000 to 20,000 miles. Certain manufacturer-recommended service intervals can now stretch to 100,000 miles before they need to be done, such as replacing spark plugs.
Take the time to read your owner’s manual. This little book explains the recommended mileage and time intervals for all your vehicle’s maintenance items. Of course, your auto mechanic also knows the service schedule for your vehicle and will be able to give you guidelines.
So how often should you get a tune up on your car? Watch out for these signs:
- Warning lights: When the dash panel lights illuminate, there may be a potential problem with a system or component. Schedule a car diagnostics as soon as possible. It could be a minor problem, such as a faulty sensor, or more serious, transmission failure.
- Stalling: You can be left in dangerous situations if your car begins stalling at stop signs. Spark plugs could be bad, the fuel filter clogged, or possibly something more serious
- Hard starts: If it takes several turns of the key to start your car, or it won’t stay running, the battery could be bad, the starter may be failing, or there could be other hidden issues.
- Decrease in fuel mileage: This indicates that your vehicle isn’t operating as efficiently as it should. This can be caused by improper tire pressure, a sticking brake pad, or it’s simply time for a tune-up.
- Loss of power and sluggish acceleration: There are times when you need a little more speed and power, such as when merging onto a highway, passing another vehicle, or towing a trailer.
A car diagnostics can pinpoint any potential problems early and the problem can be taken care of before it gets any bigger.
Do you need to know more about how often should you get a tune up on your car? Call our ASE Certified technicians at Dependable Car Care for more information about a car diagnostics service and to schedule an appointment. Our auto shop proudly serves residents in the community of Ventura, CA, and the surrounding area.