Are you concerned about how long will the battery last in your hybrid car? The lifespan of a battery for a hybrid vehicle depends on several factors. Batteries for hybrid vehicles are not like those in traditional cars that can be replaced for about $100. Instead, the cost of replacing a failed hybrid car battery can run into thousands of dollars. That isn’t what you want to hear if you bought a hybrid to save money.
So how often does a hybrid battery need to be replaced? Research shows that hybrid batteries start to become a risk when they’re 10 to 15 years old and after driving 120,000 to 150,000 miles. Some drivers start to experience failure at 70,000 miles, while others can make it to 200,000 miles without any problems. For peace of mind, have your battery checked periodically at a certified hybrid service center.
Here are six common problems you may start to experience if the battery in your hybrid is starting to fail:
- Diminished fuel economy
- More frequent rapid cycling of the battery meter
- Reduced acceleration and “dogging”
- Reduced usable cell capacity
- More narrow distance range
- Throwing codes and computer errors
When the battery in your hybrid car starts to go, you have options instead of a total replacement.
- Purchase a new battery. This is the most expensive option, but it will enable your hybrid vehicle to give you another 10 years of service.
- Buy a refurbished or rebuilt battery. While rebuilt batteries may not last as long as the originals, they’re about half the price of a new one.
- Recondition your current battery. Reconditioning a hybrid battery puts the battery cells through a deep power cycle to rebalance the charge in each cell. This will restore the battery’s performance to over 90% of its original capacity.
Looking for a certified hybrid service? Contact our ASE Certified technicians at Dependable Car Care for more information about how often does a hybrid battery needs to be replaced and to schedule an appointment. Our auto shop proudly serves residents in the community of Ventura, CA, and the surrounding area.